Sunday, October 11, 2009

On Friday I had orientation for Passion Works. It went swimmingly; the director acted warmly and the artists I saw seemed enthusiastic. I only had two slight hang-ups. One--I'm definitely no artist. Volunteers are expected to assist with drawing and painting, as well as many other motor-intensive tasks at which I claim absolutely no aptitude. But alas, it's a learning opportunity. Two, the director told me to write strictly "positive" things about the artists.

At first, I balked at this command. How could I keep things "real" if I wrote on a sunny, superficial level the whole time? After a few minutes, however, I reconsidered: by "positive," I don't think she meant to gloss over the artists' shortcomings. She simply wants me to write respectfully, compassionately. Of course I'm not going to dwell on the fact that these artists have disabilities; that would be redundant.

To use her words, I'm going to write from a "people first" perspective, conveying the stories of artists who happen be disabled, and not disabled people who happen to be artists. By the same token, that doesn't mean I'll avoid the fact of disability. It's just going to be a secondary consideration.

I took pictures of various fixtures on display, but unfortunately, due to technical issues, I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to post them.

On another note, while researching poverty in Athens, I turned up an interesting statistic. As of 2007, 65% of people in Athens earned income below the poverty level, and 41% of residents earned income below 50% of the poverty level--a discomfiting fact to say the least.

More on that, stay tuned for the next post (after I post the slideshow), where I interview a local church about their free lunch program.

3 comments:

  1. It is a real bummer your other blog didn't work out, Aaron, but I still think this one is a great idea. One of my friends that graduated last year worked at PassionWorks and I know it was a great experience for her. Especially with their new location right off of Court Street, that makes it really helpful for them to get a lot more foot traffic. I'm eager to read about your experiences volunteering there...as you said, keep it positive but don't gloss over what you come across. Gotta be fair and accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,

    I absolutely love this idea. I've worked with Passion Works in the past and it was a big learning experience. Not only did I clean sheet metal, I learned a lot about the organization in the process.

    It's truly astonishing the level of poverty here in Athens. I look forward to hearing more from your experiences and situations.

    Keep up the good work and thanks for commenting on my blog, Quick Fix!!

    :) Repping the 330. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voices for the poor and impoverished are always needed. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete